P?O?L?L?E?N (And a question on dynamically detecting install directory for Steam games)

Place to manually submit your Custom Gamesave Entries for Official Entry status.
Alternatively, submit them within GameSave Manager directly (just tick the "Yes, I'd like to share this entry" option at the end of the wizard).
Eincrou

P?O?L?L?E?N (And a question on dynamically detecting install directory for Steam games)

Post by Eincrou »

I updated Pollen's PCGW article with its game data locations and wanted to create a GameSave Manager entry. But I've run into a problem I've had before when trying to create entries with proper dynamic detection.

Pollen's game data files are its install directory, but I don't know how to dynamically detect where it has been installed. I have the Steam version, though there's a DRM-free version from GOG that probably saves the same way. It's annoying that Pollen doesn't save the files to a common location like most other games do.

For the Steam version, the 'workaround' of setting a GSM entry to a game's Steam Cloud directory doesn't work here because even though Pollen seems to support Steam Cloud, none of the actual files can be found in the game's folder in UserData. "remotecache.vdf" is there, but there's no "/remote" folder containing the actual files for GSM to save.

I tried searching the forums for information on this situation. Since I've encountered it before, it must have been discussed at some point. Sadly the search feature ignores the all of the important keywords in "detect steam game installation directory" so I can't find it.

What's the best way to handle these situations and create nice GSM profiles with dynamic detection?
InsaneMatt
Site Admin

Re: P?O?L?L?E?N (And a question on dynamically detecting install directory for Steam games)

Post by InsaneMatt »

There's 3 'Special Path' variables GameSave Manager uses for Steam titles.
  • %STEAM% - root directory of the Steam installation directory or 'Steam Library'
  • %STEAM_CACHE% - data stored using an older Source engine which preferred to save data to the 'steamapps\common\username' path (outdated and kept for legacy reasons)
  • %STEAM_CLOUD% - data stored using the 'Steam Cloud' feature of Steamworks (targetting the local copies)
In your case, you'd want to use the %STEAM% variable (named Steam Installation Directory within the Custom GameSave Entry wizard) and append your target (e.g steamapps\common\game folder\save folder).