NOOB question: Do regular backups of a game from a scheduled task overwrite themselves?

General chit chat regarding the GameSave Manager project, announcements and general feedback.
DeadlyMegadeth

NOOB question: Do regular backups of a game from a scheduled task overwrite themselves?

Post by DeadlyMegadeth »

Hi basically as the title says. It's the first time I've tried to backup game saves since a save got corrupted recently and I lost all my progress so I don't know much about it.

I'm asking as I don't want to be generating a bunch of files or folders each time it backup (at the moment it is hourly but I'll reduce it at some point) I'd prefer to just have the one backup file that it is simply updating each hour.
InsaneMatt
Site Admin

Re: NOOB question: Do regular backups of a game from a scheduled task overwrite themselves?

Post by InsaneMatt »

Backup behaviour is based upon your task's configuration.
If the change detection option is enabled, your existing backup will be replaced else another archive is made.

It's probably not advisable to perform a backup hourly, especially while gaming. Unless you're running a beast of a gaming rig, GameSave Manager performing a backup in the background could cause your game to hang.