Sync & Link not seeing all games that Backup does

General chit chat regarding the GameSave Manager project, announcements and general feedback.
daft_inquisitor

Sync & Link not seeing all games that Backup does

Post by daft_inquisitor »

Not sure if this is intended, or a known issue, or what. Went through recently to try and make sure all of my games were being backed up properly, when I noticed that I have a *significant* number of games that are being missed with Sync & Link. When I go in to do a standard Backup, it lists 320 items. Doing Sync & Link only catches 278. I've tried running a rescan both from the Backup and from the Sync & Link screen, and either way, the results are still the same. Hoping someone can help me "fix" what seems to be a potential issue.
InsaneMatt
Site Admin

Re: Sync & Link not seeing all games that Backup does

Post by InsaneMatt »

Sync & Link works by processing directories as a whole.
This limitation means that if an entry (both Custom or 'Official') don't use *.* for it's inclusion rulesets (and have no exclusion rulesets), Sync & Link will not list it.

You can, however, overwrite this behaviour within Program Settings.
Be warned that doing this will result in unwanted files being processed by Sync & Link (such as the game's installation itself for older games that store saves in their root directory).
daft_inquisitor

Post by daft_inquisitor »

OK, I'm only just now seeing this response almost exactly two years later, but this actually 100% helped explain an issue I was having by trying to create another custom entry here. Thanks, I got it to work (hopefully) perfectly.

(I know, severe necropost, but I did just want to say thank you for the help.)
Edge1337

Post by Edge1337 »

How can I make games that work by putting savefiles in the same folder as the rest of the game(and not into a separate folder) to cooperate with Sync & Link? I'm not sure how many games do that, but for example indie game "off" puts save file into the root directory of the game, and if you were to use *.* rule to include it, you'd have to either link all the game file too, or to write a huge list of type files to exclude, just so it would include only the save files.
InsaneMatt
Site Admin

Post by InsaneMatt »

Edge1337 wrote: 19 Oct 2020, 20:59 How can I make games that work by putting savefiles in the same folder as the rest of the game(and not into a separate folder) to cooperate with Sync & Link? I'm not sure how many games do that, but for example indie game "off" puts save file into the root directory of the game, and if you were to use *.* rule to include it, you'd have to either link all the game file too, or to write a huge list of type files to exclude, just so it would include only the save files.
Sync & Link processes entire directories only. As such, it cannot process individual files (this is something I'm hoping can be addressed in the 4x branch).