Allow 'diff' backup functionality

Got a feature request, suggestion for the website or the project as whole?
We'd love to hear it.
undivided77

Allow 'diff' backup functionality

Post by undivided77 »

Allow an option to only create backups when changes have been made since the last backup. If xcopy is being used on the back end, then moving to the more robust and native robocopy would allow this. Alternatively a local db could be kept with the previous backup's size, modification date, etc, then compared to existing files and only the games which had diffs would have a new backup set made.

The reason is I assume most of us use an online sync option, like backing up to our onedrive or dropbox folder. Having that sync a large amounts of data that has not changed, over and over, chews up bandwidth.

Short of this missing feature, this software rocks. Thanks for your hard work!
InsaneMatt
Site Admin

Re: Allow 'diff' backup functionality

Post by InsaneMatt »

Unless I'm missing something, you're describing functionality already available.
Go to Program Settings -> Task Specific -> Backup Settings. Make sure the Create a separate archive... option as well as Create a new archive upon file change... option are both selected.
OmiCron

Post by OmiCron »

On my side, I have a lot of games that backup repeatedly because a change is supposedly detected, but in reality, there is none. The diff detection seems not very efficient.
InsaneMatt
Site Admin

Post by InsaneMatt »

Interesting.
Perhaps one of the file(s) aren't getting backed up correctly? Have you tried moving your backup to another directory to force a "clean" backup to be performed?
undivided77

Post by undivided77 »

InsaneMatt wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 14:49 Unless I'm missing something, you're describing functionality already available.
Go to Program Settings -> Task Specific -> Backup Settings. Make sure the Create a separate archive... option as well as Create a new archive upon file change... option are both selected.
Oh! Excellent! Thank you!