Questions about the app

General chit chat regarding the GameSave Manager project, announcements and general feedback.
GPI_Flush

Questions about the app

Post by GPI_Flush »

Hello, I have some noob questions regarding the app. I've just installed it and made some backups for some of my games, both on my PC and on OneDrive.
My first question is, why are the saves different in the between the two locations? As in, the ones on my PC are a single GSBA file, and the ones on OneDrive are folders with multiple things in them. Also, if I were to reinstall a game, how would I restore a save from either my PC or OneDrive? Would I just use the "Open Archive(s)" option for both cases?

EDIT: Also, I forgot to ask, how come I can make backups of saves for games that I no longer have installed?
InsaneMatt
Site Admin

Re: Questions about the app

Post by InsaneMatt »

GPI_Flush wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 21:35 My first question is, why are the saves different in the between the two locations? As in, the ones on my PC are a single GSBA file, and the ones on OneDrive are folders with multiple things in them.
There's two functions there; a backup (the 'gsba' file) and Sync & Link (using Dropbox, OneDrive, etc for 'realtime' syncing of your save data as they're changed).
GPI_Flush wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 21:35 Also, if I were to reinstall a game, how would I restore a save from either my PC or OneDrive? Would I just use the "Open Archive(s)" option for both cases?
Backups are indeed restored via the 'Open Archive(s)' option on the Main Menu. You'll be prompted to select the archive(s) and their contents will be listed in a similar fashion to how they were listed during backup.
For a 'Sync & Link' action, you'd need to use the 'Relink' functionality of the Sync & Link feature.
GPI_Flush wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 21:35 Also, I forgot to ask, how come I can make backups of saves for games that I no longer have installed?
GameSave Manager is looking for your saves, not the games they're used for.
The vast majority of games do not "tidy up" when you uninstall them, which means they're still on your system and thus GameSave Manager lists them.
GPI_Flush

Post by GPI_Flush »

So for the Sync & Link, do I need to keep the GameSave Manager app open for it to keep the saves up to date? Also, I don't need to use the backup if I am using Sync & Link, right?

Also, I am a bit confused about how to actually use Sync & Link to renew my save. I tried testing it to see how it works and I almost lost all the saves I used it with. Let's say I uninstall a game, and when I reinstall it I want to used my backed up save. The gsba files seem simple enough, as you just open them from the main menu, but how would I use Sync & Lync to do that? Also, if I were to access them from a different PC, would the app recognize the linked saves on my OneDrive and would it follow the same process as if it were the same machine as before?
InsaneMatt
Site Admin

Post by InsaneMatt »

GPI_Flush wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 14:30 So for the Sync & Link, do I need to keep the GameSave Manager app open for it to keep the saves up to date? Also, I don't need to use the backup if I am using Sync & Link, right?
You'd only need to run GameSave Manager to process additional records (or to undo the Sync & Link task entirely).
It's good practice to make the occasional backup too, just for peace of mind.
GPI_Flush wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 14:30 Also, I am a bit confused about how to actually use Sync & Link to renew my save. I tried testing it to see how it works and I almost lost all the saves I used it with. Let's say I uninstall a game, and when I reinstall it I want to used my backed up save. The gsba files seem simple enough, as you just open them from the main menu, but how would I use Sync & Lync to do that? Also, if I were to access them from a different PC, would the app recognize the linked saves on my OneDrive and would it follow the same process as if it were the same machine as before?
The Sync & Link feature adds a file to the moved directory (GSM_DATA if memory serves). This file specifies how GameSave Manager should detect it's original directory location. Said file allows GameSave Manager to dynamically detect the path on another system (unless a Custom GameSave Entry was used with a 'static' path defined).
To 'restore' a Sync & Link task, simpily click the Relink button from the Sync & Link feature's page. You'll be asked to specify where you moved your saves to and GameSave Manager will do the rest.
To outright remove what Sync & Link did, use the Unlink button from it's feature page.
GPI_Flush

Post by GPI_Flush »

InsaneMatt wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 22:51
GPI_Flush wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 14:30 So for the Sync & Link, do I need to keep the GameSave Manager app open for it to keep the saves up to date? Also, I don't need to use the backup if I am using Sync & Link, right?
You'd only need to run GameSave Manager to process additional records (or to undo the Sync & Link task entirely).
It's good practice to make the occasional backup too, just for peace of mind.
GPI_Flush wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 14:30 Also, I am a bit confused about how to actually use Sync & Link to renew my save. I tried testing it to see how it works and I almost lost all the saves I used it with. Let's say I uninstall a game, and when I reinstall it I want to used my backed up save. The gsba files seem simple enough, as you just open them from the main menu, but how would I use Sync & Lync to do that? Also, if I were to access them from a different PC, would the app recognize the linked saves on my OneDrive and would it follow the same process as if it were the same machine as before?
The Sync & Link feature adds a file to the moved directory (GSM_DATA if memory serves). This file specifies how GameSave Manager should detect it's original directory location. Said file allows GameSave Manager to dynamically detect the path on another system (unless a Custom GameSave Entry was used with a 'static' path defined).
To 'restore' a Sync & Link task, simpily click the Relink button from the Sync & Link feature's page. You'll be asked to specify where you moved your saves to and GameSave Manager will do the rest.
To outright remove what Sync & Link did, use the Unlink button from it's feature page.
Thank you for all the answers so far! I have two more questions and I think I'll be good to go. The first one is, what does "partially Sync & Link'd" mean in the Make a backup part of the menu? I see that some of the games that I Sync & Link'd have that next to them, and is there a way to make them fully synced? Finally, whenever I try to "Start the Sync & Link task" for a game I have already done this, it says that it's already done this, but for some other ones (ex. Batman Arkham City) I get the message: "ERROR: Initialization error occurred".
InsaneMatt
Site Admin

Post by InsaneMatt »

GPI_Flush wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 15:01 The first one is, what does "partially Sync & Link'd" mean in the Make a backup part of the menu? I see that some of the games that I Sync & Link'd have that next to them, and is there a way to make them fully synced?
The 'tag' is just to let you know some, or all, of a detected record is linked.
Sync & Link functions on a directory basis and as such paths which do not include the entire directory cannot be processed. This behaviour can be somewhat overwritten via an option in Program Settings, but be warned that "junk" files will be included (or even game files themselves).
GPI_Flush wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 15:01 Finally, whenever I try to "Start the Sync & Link task" for a game I have already done this, it says that it's already done this, but for some other ones (ex. Batman Arkham City) I get the message: "ERROR: Initialization error occurred".
This is likely caused by file(s) being locked when attempting to copy/move them or you're not running GameSave Manager with full administrative rights (which is required for writing to certain directories as well as making 'symbolic links').